Wednesday, October 7, 2009

5 semanas


Time for a new post. I've been studying Spanish for 5 weeks now and am starting to feel somewhat comfortable with the language. I still have a long way to go however.

I have a new spanish professor and he's quite interesting. He's from Venezuela and he's in the US on political asylum. He used to be a defense attorney in Caracas, and then was a politician, but was forced to flee when Chavez took over. He's been in the States teaching Spanish ever since.

Unfortunately I don't have much to say about my Spanish class itself. There are four people in my class, two from State and 2 from AID. We have 4 hours of lectures each day, then we spend time doing drills in the computer lab or having one-on-one conversations with the instructor.

Whenever I have free time however, I still manage to get out. I recently joined a kickball league that plays on the weekends on the National Mall near the Washington Monument. Apparently kickball is very popular among young professionals on the East Coast. Also, once a week, I join a group of Spanish students for a cultural night (dinner/movie en espanol). Last week we watched a movie about Che Guevarra in spanish. Viva la revolucion!
Moreover, a while ago I went to Nationals Stadium to watch the Barber of Seville on the jumbo-tron from the outfield. Opera in the outfield. Que interesante! Finally, last weekend I flew out to Mexico to spend some time on the beach in Rocky Point. Because I spoke some Spanish there, this should be tax deductible right? Business expense? On an interesting note, on my flight back I sat near to Senator Jon Kyle. I should have told him to support the public option.

M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn! Internet temporarily intermittent, and my comment got sucked into the vortex...

Anyway, I'm stoked to hear about your Venezuelan adventure when you get there. You'll be the first American I've known to spend time there. Obviously I know where our govt stands on Chavez, but I can't wait to find out how life on the ground actually is, and the different perspectives people have...

Que rico!

(Mi espanol se pone peor cada dia, mae. Jueputa!)