Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Cottage Cheese

Mike will probably revoke my admin rights to this blog when he sees that my inaugural post is about cottage cheese.  Just give me a chance here, I think it's super interesting.

One obvious aspect of living overseas is not having access (or at least, easy access) to some of your favorite things.  Cottage cheese is one of my favorite things, and we have yet to live in a country outside the US that has it.  I was so desperate in Argentina that I almost made my own, until I found out it would take 8 of our liter-size boxes of milk from the store, and would only produce a cup or so of cottage cheese.....which I can eat in five minutes.  Needless to say, I lived without it.

Of course, there are lots of things we're missing now that we're here in Russia, but cottage cheese (and Caroline's favorite - string cheese!) is readily available!!!

Here is Caroline enjoying some string cheese.




Here is how the string cheese is packaged - only downside is that Caroline keeps looking for the individual wrappers because she likes to unwrap them herself.  Sorry, C! 



And here is the beauty of cottage cheese in Russia - it comes in 4+ different forms!  From left to right: super rich regular-style cottage cheese; just the curd crumbles; just the whey/cream; and whipped/sweetened berry cottage cheese (not pictured because I ate it all).


1 comment:

Patti said...

Oh my goodness! I read Mike's post first and was delighted to learn that your city is quite up to date compared to how it was in 1999. The fact that you can get such delightful varieties of cottage cheese AND string cheese proves the truthfulness of his post. Can't wait to hear about the idiosyncrasies though. That's what gives a place character. How smart to have C learn Russian before you got there. Good luck with the pre-school tea and the "just say no" campaign. Hope your stuff gets there sooner than later. Happy fun times!